Lucknow

In 1775, Nawab Asaf-ud-daula shifted his capital from Faizabad to Lucknow. By 1857, when the British controlled the reins of power, Lucknow had grown from an inconspicuous town to ‘the cultural star in the northern firmament’. Architecturally, Lucknow witnessed a heavy does of European influences. Among this are the – Victoria Memorial, the Council House and the Clock Tower. Lucknow’s rich historic past come alive as one wanders through the modern metropolis. The Residency holds pride of place amongst the colonial monuments of Lucknow. In 1857 it became the focal point of one of the most relentless sieges of all time. To honour the valour of both the besiegers and besieged, the Archeological Survey of India has preserved the building in the condition it was at the end of the 5-months siege. The Residency often thought of as a single building. It was actually a large complex of many building set in spacious parkland. Its location on high ground afforded views of the city to the south and the east, while to the north the land sloped to the banks of the Gomti. Today the buildings are in ruins. During the rebellion every fortified post in the Residency was named, usually after the commanding officer. While the Residency has a special place amongst the colonial monuments of Lucknow, there are several buildings, raised in the 18th and 19th century which bear the influence of European Architectural styles.

Getting There:

Air: Lucknow has a good connection to the important airports in the country.

Rail: Lucknow is the major railhead. It is connected to the all different parts of the country.

Road: It has a good motorable roads connected to different parts of the state.

Tourist Attraction:

Bibiyapur Kothi: Bibiyapur Kothi was built by Nawab Asaf-ud-daula, on the right banks of the Gomti, on the outskirt of the city. The three-storied building served as an entertainment house for important emissaries of the British Government. This Kothi bears a striking French influence – like blue styles brought specially from France, adorned its interior. The serpentine wooden staircases built inside the Kothi are known to be the first of their kind in India. The building is presently situated within the precincts of the Millitary Diary and is under the protection of the Archeological Survey of India.

Kothi Farhat Baksh: This small but beautiful is a unique example of Indo-European Architecture.

Kothi Dilkuasha: The Dilkuasha Kothi set amidst lush green lawn, was built in the Gothic style. The Kothi and its adjoining magnificent garden is almost an exact replica of an English country house build in 1721. It is currently being restored by the Archeological Survey of India and is a popular picnic spot.

Khurshid Manzil: Situated close to the Royal Observatory, the construction was undertaken in 1814 A.D. It is a two-storied building with a large central dome, and 8 very distinctive towers, topped by battlements. The Kothi is surrounded by a moat known as Chiraya Jheel.

Kothi Roshanuddaula: Kothi Roshanuddaula is one of the classic examples of Indo-French architecture. Today, the U.P. State department of Archeology function from here.

La Martiniere

La Martiniere

La Martiniere: This grand building deserves special mention, situated at Lucknow. Major General Clauda Martin of France built it at the end of the 18th century in 1751. The building has been described as a tome that became a palace. It is both the finest and the largest example of a European funerary monument in the sub-continent … a wedding cake in brick, a Gothic Castle and a baroque folly. In the 1790’s Martin decided it should be inhabited and had it elaborately furnished and decorated with paintings, chandeliers, statues and plaster, plaques. Martin had also willed that his palace tome should become schoolboys of all religious La Martiniere, as he desired the school be named, was started in 1840 and was flourishing educational institution in 1857. In 1932 the British Government decided to present the school with Battle Honors for the supportive role of the students in the Residency. It is the only school in the world to have received Battle Honors.

The Hussainabad Clock Tower

The Hussainabad Clock Tower

The Hussainabad Clock Tower: This tower is one of the finest examples of British architecture in India. It was built in 1887. The 20 ft. square tower rises to a height of 221 ft. It is built of gunmetal and its components were imported from Luigate Hill, London. Its principal wheel is one and a half inches thick and has a diameter of 2 ft., which makes its larger than the Westminister Clock.

Victoria Memorial: This was built in 1908 by white Makrana marble, which is located in Victoria Park, now known as Begum Hazrat Mahal Park.

Chota Imambara: Chota Imambara was built in 1837-42. It is more ornate in design with exquisite chandeliers, gilt edged mirrors and colourful stuccos which adorn the interiors. A golden dome and fine calligraphy or the exterior of the building makes it truly exceptional monument of Mughal architecture.

Bara Imambara

Bara Imambara

Bara Imambara: In 1784 Nawab Asaf-ud-daula built this Imambara, which also houses his tomb. The remarkable feature of the Imambara is the absence of pillar for support to the 50 ft. high main hall and a labyrinth of intricate balconies and spacious in the upper floor, the “Bhul Bhulaiyya” to the left of the Imambara is the imposing Asifi mosque.

Christ Church: Near the Wingfield Park stands the Christ Church. This church is the memorial to those died in the mutiny. This church was enlarged and improved in 1904. It contains many fascinating memorial tablets and brasses. An earthquake in1933 twisted the cross on the spire.

Rumi Darwaza

Rumi Darwaza

Rumi Darwaza: The 60 ft. high Rumi Darwaza was constructed in 1786. It is said to be identical in design to an ancient portal at Constantinople.

Hussainabad Picture Gallery: Nawab Md. Ali Shah built it, is a “Baradari” literally meaning, “having 12 door ways”. It is now used as a gallery for display of life size portraits of the Nawab of Avadh.

Excursion:

Deva Sharief: 25 km. from Lucknow, the tomb of Syed Haji Waris Alli Shah, known as Deva Sharief is a place of reverence for both Hindus and Muslims. It attracts devotees in large numbers during October and November, when the annual Urs of Haji Waris Ali Shah is celebrated.

Neemsar–Mishrikh: 102 km from Lucknow, Neemsar–Mishrikh is an important religious centre famous for the temple of Goddess Lalita, Dadhichi Kund, Vyas Gaddi, Chakratirtha and Hanumangarhi.

Facebookgoogle_plus